At Toll, we’re on a mission to help move the businesses that move the world. And that’s exactly what our people do every day. With over 130 years’ experience, and a network spanning 50 countries, 1,200 locations and 40,000 staff, we have the scale - and smarts - to solve any logistics, transport or supply chain challenge. At Toll, we do more than just logistics. We move the businesses that move the world.
The Solution Architect for Cloud is responsible for Toll’s target state cloud environment as well as maintaining and evolving project and program cloud solutions. You will work closely with our functional architects, IT business partners, existing solution providers and Toll technical and delivery teams aligning our cloud solutions with business objectives.
The Solution Architect will implement and subsequently maintain a set of best practice cloud patterns covering network, compute, containerisation, platforms as a service, tools, processes, standards, and governance mechanisms designed to optimise Toll’s cloud footprint and support project and program implementations. The role will ensure that cloud services in production & non-production environments are fit for purpose, efficient, cost
effective & secure. You will take a lead role in the evaluation, development, and implementation of technologies for optimising and safeguarding the Toll cloud landscape.
This is a deeply technical leadership role working with your stakeholders to build technical capability, create innovative solutions to the business challenges and transform the IT infrastructure offering.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain Cloud hosting roadmap for Toll applications.
- Champion cloud optimisation and lead the adoption strategy.
- Scope solutions to enable Toll’s applications to move towards our target state. This will include both ‘Cloud’ hosted environments and some ‘Legacy’ on premise systems.
- Analyses the business needs, defines detailed requirements based on business requirements, develops proposed solutions/approaches including the new process and policy changes. Defines new system capabilities and/or configurations needed with the business community, and recommends potential alternatives, including business and technical considerations.
- Ensures holistic solution design, making sure that cross-functional considerations are incorporated into the functional and technical design specifications, focusing on strategic business capabilities and requirements.
- Ensures that the solution design aligns with Toll’s Enterprise Architecture standards and technical application management standards, and gain approval through the project process.
- Collaborates with the Enterprise Architecture, Technical Architecture and IT Solutions to ensure alignment of Solution Architecture.
- Reviews functional and technical specifications and validates design/development specifications with technical development teams.
- Identifies and coordinates with stakeholder technical teams to ensure the delivery of a holistic solution design.
- Creates and presents solution overviews and alternatives to technical and business leadership governance forums to provide understanding of solution direction and to gain support of the recommended solution approach.
- Ensures solutions are aligned with application strategies and identify opportunities, challenges, and migration roadmaps to support strategies.
- Provides guidance and technical oversight to design and delivery teams to ensure solutions are implemented and operationalised to achieve the outcome required.
- Educate stakeholders of application architecture risks to influence change that supports business and IT strategies.
- Provides advice, assistance and leadership associated with infrastructure planning, design and improvement of service and component availability, including the investigation of all breaches of availability targets and service non-availability, with the instigation of remedial activities (both Production & Non-Production environments).
- Sets direction and leadership in the introduction of infrastructure platform techniques, methodologies, and tools, to match overall Toll business requirements against future landscape objectives.
- Ensure that infrastructure service delivery meets agreed service levels.
- Ensure that infrastructure services are delivered without exposing Toll, or our customers and suppliers, to unacceptable security or operational risks, and that your domain complies with appropriate IT security policy, processes and risks controls.
- Facilitates open communication and discussion between application teams, projects, Group Technology, and vendors, acting as a single point of contact for infrastructure solutions.
- Collaboration with members of the GIS team, to ensure timeframe expectations are understood & infrastructure dependencies are managed proactively.
- Identifying areas of opportunity where services can be improved to the customer or delivery costs can be reduced.
- Working with upper management to determine acceptable levels of risk for Toll's environment that could be drawn into the IT risk management framework.
- Monitoring developments and trends in information technology practices to identify new opportunities and new risks and recommend to management as to how Toll should address these opportunities and risks.
- GIS Head of Delivery and Transformation
- GIS Head of Core Services
- Infrastructure Services Management
- Security Architects
- Project Managers and Program Directors
SKILLS ESSENTIAL TO THE JOB
• Extremely skilled in current cloud technologies.
• Minimum 5 years of experience as a Solution Architect, Infrastructure Architect, or Solution Designer.
• Highly organised and efficient, with strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated experience architecting or managing complex infrastructure and cloud solutions.
• Demonstrated experience working across both ‘on-premise’ & hosted cloud environments.
• Engineering experience with cloud environments including AWS and Azure experience: securing services, automating services, cost optimisation.
• Demonstrated knowledge of testing methodologies, release cycles and processes.
• Demonstration knowledge of defect management processes & incident severity processes / SLAs.
• Demonstrate effective stakeholder management skills that support effective requirements gathering and issue resolution that achieves effective outcomes.
• Demonstrate the ability to work and collaborate effectively in and across teams.
• Experience of working with or on transformation programs.
• Good technical and non-technical documentation skills.
• Influencing skills to achieve consensus on requirements between teams.
• Sound knowledge of cloud networks and equivalent L2 and L3 ‘on-premise’ datacentre technologies.
• Familiarity with information systems management practices (e.g. ITIL, SDLC, etc.).
• Understanding of both the technical and the people issues in development and delivery of secure solutions.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
• Consistent high quality of work
• Quick turnaround of requests
• Adherence to Toll standards and architecture principles
• Build strong relationships
ESSENTIAL PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Safety – ensure the safety culture of the Toll Group is adhered for all projects.
- Exceptionally highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to quickly earn respect and create a sense of community amongst the often-disparate members of the project teams from both business and technical backgrounds,
- Communicate effectively – Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Foster Teamwork – ability to work effectively with others to set goals, resolves problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Behave ethically – understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure that your own behaviour and behaviour of others is consistent with the Toll Way.
- Live the Toll values and be an ambassador for the GIS team.
Education: Tertiary Education
Professional: Cloud Certifications (eg from AWS or Azure)
Relevant technical certification or equivalent experience (ie Cisco, Algosec, Checkpoint)
Other Infrastructure Certifications will be highly regarded (ie HP, Cloudera)
An architecture certification (eg TOGAF) is desirable