For our site in Toulouse, we are looking for a highly motivated:
SVP Oncology (m/f) – Permanent contract
Reporting to the global EVP In vitro biology, he/she will be tasked with providing excellent scientific, technical and managerial Oncology leadership to a rapidly growing in vitro biology department (currently ~80 staff). Scientific excellence in the field of Oncology will be central to the role, helping the global function build a strategy in this disease area, as well as perform a gap analysis. With the assistance of senior managers in their reporting line (VP/Principle Scientist), they will provide appropriate staffing to multi-disciplinary projects and help to drive forward Evotec’s internal R&D and partnered collaborative projects, with the potential to provide senior leadership in large partnerships within Oncology. In addition, the role holder will assist with attracting and winning new business by building high quality scientific proposals and presenting to clients. As a member of the Toulouse Site Leadership Team, the role holder will be expected to actively contribute to ongoing planning for the Toulouse site, leading change activities where necessary. As a core member of the global in vitro biology leadership team, the person will be expected to represent the site function for activities supporting global in vitro operations.
- Lead the in vitro biology group, setting aligned goals to drive performance and creating a positive climate for development and growth of colleagues.
- Manage VPs/Principle Scientists, providing strong guidance and expertise to facilitate the attainment of project and business goals in individual groups
- Improve the operational processes and ensure the group continues to grow its scientific capabilities to drive performance
- Develop the department by recruiting critical scientific skills, identifying training needs and managing expansion of technical resources
- Develop, implement and manage the financial budget of the department
- Provide scientific excellence in oncology disease biology, in vitro biology and drug hunting know-how across the matrix organization for the benefit of drug discovery projects.
- Work constructively and collaboratively with other functions in Toulouse and with in vitro pharmacology leaders across all Evotec sites to optimize the performance of the whole organization.
- Contribute to the strategic development of Evotec’s oncology project portfolio and act as a biology or alliance lead in one or more projects, including potentially a project of major scope and importance.
- Contribute to winning new business through oral presentations, external networking and proposal writing in conjunction with Business Development
- Provide disease know-how and drug discovery expertise to support Evotec’s internal R&D efforts in oncology.
Ideal candidate profile:
- PhD or equivalent degree in biology or pharmacology and a minimum of 15 years’ experience of drug discovery, primarily in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Experience in managing senior scientist and/or director/group leader level a must
- Strong track record of success in drug discovery in oncology from project inception to candidate nomination/early development. Additional expertise in inflammation/autoimmune biology is considered an advantage.
- Dynamic personality with passion for science, innovation and problem-solving and a willingness to apply core areas of knowledge to new areas of interest to Evotec and its clients.
- Have the ability to advise and coach staff and colleagues in a decisive, but supportive and encouraging fashion.
- Express high energy, flexibility and personal motivation, as well as the charisma, to lead and guide an important customer-driven function in the company.
- Show the ability to operate as part of a team and to build trust and respect throughout the organization.
- Interact effectively across functional, geographic and cultural boundaries within the Company and externally, coupled with self-starting ability and capability of working with a wide degree of autonomy and independence.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of French is an advantage but not required.