The Station Computer II (STCII) is the central monitoring and control system for ESA ground stations. It is currently deployed on five ground stations of the ESA tracking network. The system is responsible for monitoring and controlling all ground station equipment, to apply all configurations necessary to support tracking of spacecraft and to receive telemetry from and to send tele-commands to various spacecraft. The STCII system uses a configuration database, which configures the on-line system to operate on different ground stations and to support different spacecraft missions. Preparation of the configuration databases is supported by the so-called Ground Station Tailoring System (GSTS). Emphasis of the project is in particular on the maintenance and the continuous development of the configuration databases (tailoring).
For this position around 75% of your time will be systems administration of the systems used for the tailoring of STCII, the servers and workstations running STCII in the ground stations and in the ESA Test Station, and the systems used for data gathering and automated system monitoring which is presented via an internal web page. You will face a multitude of different tasks on a daily basis.
The design and development of the successor monitor and control system for the STCII will start in the next months and it will be based on a generic development between industry and the Agency. Consultancy in the design and development phase is expected as well as support in the migration to, and testing of, the new system.
We are looking for an engineer to join the project team composed of 5 members working on-site at ESOC.
As part of the team, you will be working on-site at ESOC in direct contact with the missions and the ground stations engineers, you will be involved in the daily live operations and in special events like, for instance, the launches and the critical manoeuvres. Most of the activities will be performed remotely from ESOC in Darmstadt, but occasional travels to the Ground Stations might be required.
Project tasks include:
• System administration for related IT systems
• TCP/IP network configuration
• Configuration, set-up, and validation of workstations and servers for deployment on ESA ground stations
• Implementation of ground station and satellite specific procedures
• Configuration of the monitoring & control system for new ground station devices and test preparation
• Installation and configuration of the tailoring system
• Requirements clarifications with the customer
• Provision of consultancy related to monitoring & control system evolution
• Configuration of new ground station devices
• System commissioning on ground stations
• Set-up of system test environment in ESA Test Station
You should have a university degree in an engineering discipline (or similar) and 2-3 years relevant experience. You are motivated, you have a proactive and problem-solving attitude. You are willing to learn, to take on new responsibilities and able to work both autonomously and as part of an international team. You are a quick learner and you have strong analytical skills.
• Experience in Solaris 10 & Solaris 11 system administration
• Experience of scripting in bash, perl, html, & php
• Experience of administration of mysql databases
• Experience in software testing and validation
• Ability to understand the operational design of Man Machine Interfaces (MMI)
• Validation of system configuration
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to understand and handle complex systems
• Familiarity with Solaris LDOM administration
• Familiarity with Apache web server
• Familiarity with database supported problem and issue tracking systems and configuration databases
• Familiarity with maintenance workflows
• Familiarity with distributed version control systems (e.g. git)
• Experience in software design and development
• Ability to communicate and work well with colleagues and clients in an international environment
• Ability to manage several tasks in parallel
• Ability to be flexible and re-prioritise quickly
• Good communication skills in English (written and spoken)
• Domain knowledge in Space Ground Segments and Ground Stations would be an asset.
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.