The Systems Engineer is a member of the Field Operations Team that generally leads the tactical aspects of installation, move/add/change (MAC) orders and support activities in a branch. They are a strategic technical interface to key customers and are mentors to the developing Technicians on the local team.
The Systems Engineer has a unique blend of technical skill sets, customer facing attributes and management
capabilities. On the technical front, the Systems Engineer possesses a broad knowledge of IP Telephony and TCP/IP Networking skills, with tangible experience providing implementation and technical support for multiple products with diverse complexity. The Systems Engineer will have detailed knowledge of IPC products and Service offerings and will often times have specialized skill sets on one or more product subsets. The Systems Engineer is competent and comfortable engaging customers on multiple levels, managing the tactical aspects of projects and interfacing with support teams outside the local branch office.
Participate and or lead Install, MAC and Service activities for IPC manufactured products and or other equipment manufacturer (OEM) products. The engagement profile will include local on site work, remote intervention and will include periodic out of town travel. The work profile often times includes after hours and weekend work. The individual will be part of the on-call rotation.
- Manage activities according to defined work flows. Utilize approved tool sets when necessary.
- Trouble-shoot / triage issues that are encountered during these activities. Ensure that all relevant information, log files, etc have been collected.
- Escalate to other departments as necessary adhering to IPC protocol and following IPC processes. Escalate to OEM support teams. Follow issues through to resolution.
- Communicate with customer contacts as necessary.
- Ensure that IPC and Customer work flow and governance standards are strictly adhered to.
Project Manage jobs that have been assigned by the Branch Operations Manager or other members of Management.
- Ensure that IPC best practices and approved tool sets / infrastructure is the foundation for all projects.
- Ensure that project data is updated on a timely basis in the PM Portal.
- Ensure that IPC test tools (like Test-Pro) are utilized and managed per policy.
- Provide off-hours technical oversight and support, reporting to customer, IPC advanced support teams (ETac, Tier 2, etc) and internal IPC management on technical issues. This includes being a technical escalation point for the local Technicians.
- Liaison to assigned customers. The specific profile will be developed on a customer/customer basis. Mentor, train and guide developing Technicians on the local team as it relates to technical work flow, product knowledge, project skill sets and IPC systems-tools.
- Maintain a proactive and collaborative relationship with the eTAC, Tier 2, UCS, Customer Engineering and other members on the technical support teams. Actively participate in review sessions.
- Maintain a proactive and collaborative relationship with peers in Field Operations and with the Project Management Team.
- Actively pursue the training (local, remote and on line) necessary to maintain currency with IPC products, OEM products and or technology that is broadly adopted by IPC and or its customers.
- Actively participate in work flow reviews, technical reviews (general and job specific), new product forums and related activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Experience and Skills Requirements
- Ability to understand the technical aspects and practical application of the advanced technologies that form the basis of IPC / OEM products and that are utilized in our customer’s communications topologies.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Attention to detail and a demonstrated logical approach to problem solving and issue triage.
- Excellent presence in the office and with customers.
- Ability to interface with a various levels at customer on a technical and project basis. Ability to take complex technical conversations and tailor them to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple simultaneous priorities.
- Ability to manage high stress-pressure situations and provide logical direction to the appropriate parties.
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Networking or Engineering is desired but not required.
- Systems Engineer = Minimum 5 years’ experience in telecommunications and or related disciplines with a solid background in IP Telephony and server based products is required. Associate Systems Engineer = 3 years.
- Completion of the course work and professional certifications that are detailed in the attachment to the position description.
- Key non-technical attributes meet the criteria that is defined in the attachment to the position description
At IPC, we are committed to living our Core 4 values: Be the Best You to Create the Best Us, Work Smarter, Inspire…Aim Higher and Embrace the Customer and the Change They Create. These values are essential to how we attract, cultivate, nurture and promote our workforce and foster a sense of belonging within our employee family.
Come join us and Be the Best You !
Need Assistance with Applying for Positions?
If you are experiencing difficulty with the application process or are a disabled individual or veteran and require a reasonable accommodation in applying for any posted position, please contact the Human Resources Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that requests for updates on positions will not receive a response as this is for those who need assistance in applying.