About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Product / Domain Knowledge
- The end to end features and functionality of Personal Loans / Overdraft / Mortgages / BB / Credit card product to be known
- Possesses interpretive knowledge on the domain and works from the operations and technology perspective.
End to end understanding of the process involved including other Units
- To be able to understand the reason for existence of sub systems and work towards reduction of hands off between Units
- To be able to assess the duplicate work arounds / layers of checking involved and work towards minimisation of these layers
- Complete understanding of risk points in the product
- The risk of not processing the basic transactions on EMI, Tenor, foreclosure / part payment, reversal of service tax transactions etc on time is to be understood and cascaded to the team
- The segregation of transactions in TP systems which involve EOD batch processing and online processing is to be well understood to know the system functionality
- Provides guidance and clarification to others on principles & products
- When there is a change in process advised by Country due to change in Bank policy, Country policy etc., this is to be socialised with the entire team to ensure adherence
- Explains how principles apply to work activity
- To be able to interpret the local guidelines and policies and apply to the current process
- Understands the structure of loans / overdraft and cards and accordingly processes transactions related to the changes required within the prescribed guidelines of the bank
- Obtains feedback, develops or recommends changes to policies and procedures
- Is constantly engaged with Country / Technology / various customer touchpoints and recommends changes to processes so that they could be made simple
- Handles exceptions which are complex, is able to judge to a fair degree the consequences of the exceptions.
- To be able to take decisions such that there is a win win situation even in complex situations
- An awareness of linkages with other products/ process, linkages with various systems, hub resources and country resources.
- To be able to look at the bigger picture where a complete understanding of the linkage to processes to various products cutting across systems / sub systems is identified to optimise the utilisation of resources
- Able to relate how each one of it impacts and correlate to each other.
- Identify and eliminate process waste (excessive movement & transportation, wait time, defects, underutilized people/resources & non value added processing steps).
- To do an end to end process review right from receipt of request until the file request gets completed , identify the process gaps, non value added activities etc and suggest areas of improvement
- Assess process health through key metrics
- To check error rates independently and as a percentage to the transaction volumes processed and do an analysis to check the trend of errors
- To check the trend of transaction volumes, balance transfers etc during the year to optimise the utilisaton of errors
- To check the actual time taken to process each of the financial activity splitting them into uploads, preparation of files, posting of entries etc and check the maximum time spent on each of the activity. The activities in which maximum time spent is to be taken up for process / risk review
- Analyses and remedies inefficiencies in processes
- To check the hands off between processing Unit to other Unit and analyse the reasons for such manual hands off so that these can be eliminated
- To check any e mail based processing done by Financial Unit especially on the financial entries posted and look at moving them to process flow systems
- If there are any processes which cannot be moved to work flow systems, suggesting an effective way of checking the transactions end to end independently without referring to maker inputs
- Ensure updated DOI’s and end to end system / process manual on a regular basis
- Review the DOIs step by step regularly and check if there are any gaps in process executed
- Ensure that all processes executed are captured in DOI
- Ensure that any non value added process / layers of checking in the DOI is reviewed completely and if found to be non productive, highlight the same to country and follow up for removal of such process from the DOI
- Advises on multiple processes and trains staff.
- Understand the complexity of process and the inter linkage of process of different Countries
- Sharing of best practices across Countries so that process efficiency is achieved
- Keeping the processing staff on ground intimated on the process changes with reference to changes advised by Country / Regulatory authorities and the impact of these changes.
- Interpretation and application of changes advised with reference to the financial process followed by the team and training them adequately
- Staff to be trained on the awareness of the risks associated with each of the financial process in terms of quaility output, timeline etc
- Instill in team the sense of urgency for change
- To ensure that the entire team is aware of the impact of changes and the associated risks of not following the change of process
- To ensure that the entire team members come up the learning curve in terms of changes advised by Country / Regulatory Authorities
- Makes decisions on area of control and can identify issues that need to be escalated
- To take right decisions at times of contingencies in terms of resourcing, training requirements etc
- To inform the top management at the appropriate time at times of emergencies so that corrective action can be taken at the right time
- Able to plan and assess capacity requirements, and then agree & articulate a recommended capacity plan
- Measure cycle time for all product processes & their key underlying steps.
- Uses tools to report capacity status & issues
- Identifies critical paths & dependencies clearly
- Aware of impact of prioritizing work at any given point in time
- Exercises capacity planning within immediate area, such as, peaks and troughs in work load, planning leave, seasonal factors
- Develop volume forecasts at sub-product level. Use these forecasts to optimally deploy the resources. Intra-day volume pattern should be known.
Operational risk Management
- Analyses, interprets and monitors operations risk (through reference to key risk indicators) and presents an assessment of the these in an appropriate format
- Recognizes potential issues and escalates them with recommendations
- Measures and monitors risks of the team
- Follow plan to mitigate the same and measure output
- Able to put in preventive and detective controls
- Executes tasks and assignments accurately within team and self
- Possesses ability to differentiate between quality and excellence in the real time BAU activities
- Able to provide solutions and ideas to bring down errors.
- Create an error free culture by leveraging behavioral recognition, system requirements and other pressure points
- Create a collaborative mindset towards driving quality work
- Instills a strong internal and external customer mindset in the team by setting service quality standards.
- Takes ownership of team goals in addition to their own
- Understands customer’s requirements, able to apply them and guide others
- Understands the relative strength of each customer segment’s priorities and requirements
- Able to generate and implement improvement ideas for error free processing and better customer service
- Able to initiate contact with customers to create a network with customers and seek feedback on service
- Is able to serve customer within boundaries of policies and procedures without compromising on mandated procedures/ change process model
- Clearly articulates and confidently expresses ideas and arguments
- Listens well and offers positive and creative solutions
- Ability to communicate in a collaborative manner without conflicts
- Be able to give open and honest communication to demonstrate ethical leadership with integrity
- Demonstrates presentation skills
- Proactively identifies problems and promotes solutions
- Addresses conflicts and errors quickly before they escalate
- Understands some basic concepts in managing problems and able to apply them in own areas of work
- Determines the significance of problem
- Collects data, distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant data related to problem
- Able to put forth areas of concern and assistance required from Countries for improvement in operations
- Understands concerns and needs of the stakeholders
- Asses ones work and processes by their impact on stakeholder's concerns.
- Being able to give confidence to stakeholders that their interests are protected.
- In the event of any unforeseen incidents, proactively manage flow of information to stake holders and reassure with concrete steps that all in control
- Understands basic people management skills concept. Able to lead, motivate and develop a small team.
- Negotiates and agrees performance agreements with employees
- Regularly reviews, both formally and informally, individual and team performance
- Able to provide objective feedback to team members, and suggest how knowledge, skills, behaviour and performance may be improved.
- Provides regular performance and skill coaching as part of the feedback process.
- Facilitates collaborative problem solving and decision making with the team
- Provides clarity to team on what excellence means for their roles
- Builds strong individual engagement with team members
- Uses and manages HR systems as a management tool
- Able to promote the team's morale
- Develops procedures for change and ensures that they are effectively documented & communicated to all
- Able to drive change and provide constructive feedback
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and commitment to change and instills in teams the sense of urgency for change
- Supports managers on the effects of change within their teams/ processes through consultation and facilitation
- Uses tools specified to facilitate change
- Openness to new ideas and viewpoints
- Understands the need for projects/ initiatives and contributes to the progress of the project
- Has oversight of the purpose and status of the projects to ensure the overall project goals are likely to be met
Financial and Budgetary Management
- Able to understand Financial Concepts.
- Describes the internal control procedures and systems (e.g. processing company invoices)
- Ability to decide based on the available information in hand to recommend decisions.
- Understanding the data points how it matches / breaches the rules.
- Analyzing transactions to bring out trends and patterns.
- Identifying the key information required from other sources
- Co-relate all the inputs, analysis and summarize the findings.
- Able to analyze the trends and patterns in the unit (Volume, capacity, performances & errors)
Strategy Formulation & Implementation
- Understands the strategies and priorities of the organization
- Able to execute given actions that will contribute towards achieving business strategies
Our Ideal Candidate
6 years of experience and with the below competencies
- People Management Skills
- Stake Holder Management
- Communication skills
- Multi Tasking
- Decision Making
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.