Nomensa is an award-winning team of UX, design and development experts based in Bristol, London and Amsterdam; with clients that include Virgin Media, Royal Mail, Sky, NHS Digital, MET Office and various government organisations.
We are a strategic UX design agency that, since 2001, has combined expertise in psychology, user-centric design, accessibility and technology to create ground-breaking digital experiences and products.
About the role
As a dedicated Technical Architect here, based in our Bristol office, you will be bridging the gaps between our UX consulting, design and software engineering teams at Nomensa and be responsible for conceiving, specifying and governing technical solutions that meet our client’s requirements. Technical Architects are encouraged to think bigger and show clients how great experience can be mediated through technology and deliver a client’s technology strategy.
To be a successful Technical Architect at Nomensa you will need to be a cross-disciplined technical expert who has your finger on the pulse of what’s going on in the industry, but while also staying hands on with development duties from time to time. We don’t operate an ‘ivory tower’ approach to technology here, and are always looking for ways of improving our processes as well as delivering a great experience to the end user.
What you’ll be doing
This will be a varied role, as you will be assisting the commercial team with technical aspects of proposals and tenders and attending new business pitches, bringing technical authority and insight and building trust and rapport with clients.
You’ll be gathering technical requirements, defining and documenting them, and estimating full-stack solutions, as well as assisting project managers with scheduling and time estimation.
You will need to produce detailed full-stack technical designs and specifications, and ensure technical governance of engineering and QA team delivery for these.
You’ll be communicating technical concepts to a wide range of different audiences and viewpoints. This is a great opportunity to join a growing agency of over 100 talented people in an important role that you can really put your mark on!
What we’re hoping you can bring to the role
● Computer Science or Software Engineering related degree
● 5+ years of experience architecting technical solutions
● Ability to effectively collect and document technical business requirements
● A track record of technical leadership and a structured approach to successfully deliver high value outcomes
● Ability to manage own time, and manage client expectations as well as those of other project team members
● Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous project deliveries under high pressure
● Current, hands-on modern technologies knowledge
● Excellent knowledge/experience of system architectures
● Excellent knowledge/experience of building high performance web experiences and the underpinning web technologies
● Excellent knowledge/experience of building websites using CMS technologies including Adobe AEM, Drupal, Umbraco and Django
● Excellent knowledge/experience of implementing solutions using cloud technologies including AWS, Azure and GCP
● Excellent knowledge/experience of integration, SOA, RESTful services, API design and development
● Good knowledge/experience of system types such as CMSs, CRMs, ERPs, BI etc.
● Good technical diagramming skills such as flow charts, ERDs, UML
● Self-motivated, able to work independently and take responsibility for any technical issues that occur during delivery
● Good judgment and a pragmatic approach to delivering software that optimises architecture activities across company strategies, business constraints and technological realities
● Willingness to travel to client locations in the UK or abroad as necessary
Bonus desirable experience
● Thought-leadership in emerging mobile and web design technologies
● Infrastructure design and capacity testing experience
● Adobe AEM -including usage of the JCR, DAM and general development ideas (runmodes, components, querybuilder); the Sightly templating engine
● Lucene & Solr search concepts - faceting, personalized results
● Data transformation and modelling - working with XML, JSON, HTML
● Experience of testing using JUnit, Meanbean, Mockito - particular within the AEM context, behavior testing with Cucumber
● Oversight of front end development using tools such as Grunt, Bower, SASS, LESS and HTML frameworks such as Zurb & Bootstrap
● Build tools including Maven & Gradle
● Server environments - CentOS/RHEL/Ubuntu - working knowledge of Apache, nginx, modules such as the dispatcher for AEM, FPM for PHP
Why you’ll love us
At Nomensa, we are proud to invest in talent, and there will be plenty of room for growth and lots of opportunities for you to develop your skills in a fun, friendly environment. To prove this, we are one of the few companies to have been awarded the gold standard by Investors in People.
Our internal rewards and recognition schemes, alongside regular socials, will ensure you feel like a valued member of our team from the start. It’s a very happy, sociable place to work where you can have a long-term career. With this apprenticeship you will not only be gaining great experience at a top digital agency, but you will also have gained a valuable qualification.
Nomensa is deeply committed to the welfare of our staff and was one of the first companies in Bristol to put staff welfare first by enforcing home working as the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded.
With a large and spacious office on two floors, we are fully set up with responsible social distancing safety measures and sanitation in place, and an ever-evolving safety policy based on government advice. There is a desk booking policy to facilitate safe working distances along with many other measures and processes in place. Your safety, and that of your loved ones, is very important to us.
How to apply
Please upload your details on our recruitment portal and we will aim to get back to you soon.
Nomensa is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.