Technical Director Marine Science - BUR0061
Company : Advisian
Primary Location : CAN-BC-Burnaby
Job : Environmental Sciences
Schedule : Full-time
Employment Type : Employee
Job Level : Experienced
Job Posting : Oct 27, 2020
Unposting Date : Feb 1, 2021
Reporting Manager Title : E&S PM&M Manager
Advisian, part of the Worley Group, is a global consulting business built from bringing together our Management Consulting, our Technical Consulting and INTECSEA. We provide deep technical expertise and advice to clients in the infrastructure, minerals and metals, Power and New Energy, hydrocarbons, and chemicals sectors. Our consultants deliver scopes across all asset life cycles, working independently as Advisian, as well as imbedded on our engineering and construction delivery teams for major projects through Worley and Worley Cord. Through the real world experience of our consultants, we help clients create greater value, new possibilities and superior outcomes from their assets and businesses.
Advisian is a leading provider of Environment and Society services for our targeted sectors. We provide leading Society, Engagement & Governance, Regulatory Approvals, Permitting & Compliance and Planning, Monitoring & Management expertise to our clients in compliance with local requirements, and international standards. All of our practices are supported by the strength of our sciences groups – focused on Atmospherics, Terrestrial, Aquatics, and Marine.
What we seek;
We have an exciting new opportunity for an exceptional candidate to be responsible for strategic leadership in growing the Canadian Marine Science team and acting as a senior consultant to our clients. The ideal candidate would be based in Vancouver, where majority of our marine sciences team is located. However, given the national responsibilities for the business development, technical excellence, and client relationships, Advisian offers the flexibility to work from your home region or the Vancouver office.
In addition to opportunities and projects on the West and Arctic Coasts, there is a requirement to work closely with our marine science colleagues in our US offices and with our engineering colleagues and internal Worley clients across North America. There will also be a requirement to participate with the Advisian marine sciences global teams to continue to develop the community of practice.
This new and exciting opportunity will report to the Lead for Planning, Monitoring and Management, in our Environment & Society Service Line in Canada.
Primary Objectives and Accountabilities of the Role:
- Capitalize on the existing opportunities in the port and marine sector on the West and Arctic Coasts, as well as offshore wind opportunities
- Identify new opportunities and manage proposal preparation and client-facing activities
- Grow and enhance our marine capability
- Technical stewardship for the delivery of high-quality Marine Science and Data Collection services
- Establish a strategy for growth for Marine Sciences, focus in West and Artic Coasts, but consideration to Atlantic Coast in future
- Collaborate with other Marine Science Advisian hubs globally including INTECSEA
- Help identify and mentor members of the Marine Sciences team to support their technical and career development
- Be an Advisian ambassador in the field and participate in thought leadership (conferences, papers)
- Deliver marine scopes within the ‘as sold’ gross margin
Experience and Qualifications:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, or a related discipline
- Registered Professional Biologist (R.P.Bio.) or eligibility for professional registration in British Columbia;
- Expert knowledge in the marine sciences within West and/or Arctic Coasts
- 10+ years of experience in the environmental consulting field
- Demonstrated commitment to HSE leadership
- A strong network of industry contacts and within the regulatory community (such as DFO and provincial and territorial regulatory bodies)
- Excellent client interfacing skills and business development
- Track record of successful management of projects / work packages to meet agreed budget and schedule
- Technical reporting prowess
- Preparation of proposals, budget estimates and schedules for projects / work packages
- Proven record of team development and growth, including a network of potential contract marine specialists and potential team hire
- Competitive and comprehensive compensation, benefits package
- Commitment to ongoing professional and career path development
- Support work-life balance through our flexible working initiatives, including working from home.
- Opportunities to integrate into engineering and project delivery to deliver meaningful benefits to the environment and communities
- Opportunities to expand network to the global marine sciences team
- To be part of a growing dynamic team and steer its direction and share in its success