- Component Failure Analysis - Analyzes specimen physical and chemical properties using applicable laboratory equipment to identify failure mode and mechanism; evaluates design intent, manufacturing, processing in accordance with established processes and operational history, print requirements, part function and failure mode to determine root cause(s); recommends corrective actions considering material limitations and manufacturing constraints to protect the customer and prevent reoccurrence.
- Component Material and Process Selection - Evaluates component requirements regarding form and function in order to identify base material and processing options; selects manufacturing route and selects material and process based on best-fit option(s) aligned to requirements; validates selected material and process by defining necessary test plan to prove capability to requirements.
- Problem Solving - Solves problems using a systematic analysis process by leveraging industry standard methodologies to create problem traceability and protect the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
- Technical Documentation - Documents information based on knowledge gained as part of technical function activities; communicates to stakeholders with the goal of enabling improved technical productivity and effective knowledge transfer to others who were not originally part of the initial learning.
- Material Characterization - Interprets mechanical, chemical, microstructural and physical properties using laboratory equipment to confirm compliance to print, and correlates these properties with field or component test results to determine robustness; defines appropriate material characterization schedule using correct laboratory equipment to ensure requirements are met.
- Applies Principles of Statistical Methods - Analyzes technical data using descriptive statistics, probability distributions, graphical analysis, and statistical inference (population and sample, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing); models relationships between response and independent variables using analysis of variance, regression, and design of experiments to make rigorous, data-based decisions.
- Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Builds networks - Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Resourcefulness - Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
- This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
- Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred.
- Become an expert in the production and application of catalyst (DOC, DPF, SCR, ASC) and ceramic materials applied in diesel exhaust aftertreatment environments
- Define the size, composition, durability, and aging requirements for catalysts and ceramic materials used in aftertreatment system
- Lead and manage engineering tasks to meet project milestones
- PhD/Master in Chemical Engineering, Catalysis or Materials Science and Engineering
- Familiarity with fundamentals of heterogeneous catalysis and reaction engineering in the areas related to exhaust aftertreatment catalysis
- Professional experience and knowledge of ceramic materials, materials processing, micro-cracking, materials physical properties, failure analysis and material test methods
- Familiarity with diesel engine and aftertreatment system as a plus
- Good communication skills, basic capability of English speaking, reading and writing during work