Closing Date: March 16, 2021
Reporting to the Mining Systems Technology Supervisor, the Mining Systems Technician is a site-based resource dedicated to the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of mining technology components/systems.
This position is accountable for the physical installation, maintenance, and support of wireless networking equipment as well as the installation and maintenance of industrial computing assets on both mobile equipment and remote communication sites. In depth knowledge of wired and wireless networking techniques and delivering technology in a mining environment are required. Ability to engage with personnel at all levels of the organization is essential.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Deliver and support operational technology in support of business objectives at Highland Valley Copper.
- Maintain the Real-Time data network to ensure connectivity to the supported systems, such as the Caterpillar Command Autonomous Haulage System.
- Installation, commissioning, and maintenance of mobile computing hardware and wireless data networks used at Highland Valley Copper.
- Collaborate with the Teck Digital Services team to identify, evaluate and recommend new equipment as required.
- Ensure the security and availability of the wireless data networks. Facilitate and support cyber-security improvements, incident response, and forensics.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Diploma / Certification in Radio Frequency (RF) Systems or Wireless Communications or Network Administration from an accredited institution and 2 years relevant experience or equivalent.
- Familiarity with applicable safety protocols when working around heavy equipment in a mining environment.
- Diploma in Electronics Technology from an accredited institution and 2 years relevant experience or equivalent.
- Knowledge of best practices for installation, commissioning and maintenance of in pit and mobile hardware.
- Experience supporting mission critical systems operating in a 24x7-production environment.
- Familiarity with RF propagation and RF coverage prediction tools.
- Knowledge of RF and microwave communications fundamentals.
- Familiarity with introducing new technology products into a production environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with users and vendors to drive improvements to the quality, service, and cost of technology solutions.
- Valid class five driver’s license with a clean driving abstract. Comfortable operating four wheel drive vehicles in remote areas.
- Experience working from heights.
- Highly motivated individual that is able to work independently to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; a team player.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.